The Centre of Excellence strives to ensure all children and adolescents with special needs can combine the riches of life in northern and rural communities with the very best services
Canada has to offer.
– Julia O’Sullivan, National Director
Who are we?
Our Centre of Excellence is committed to ensuring that young people with special needs living in rural and northern communities receive the best services Canada has to offer. Established in 2000, the Centre is located at Lakehead University in Thunder Bay, Ontario. Our national partners are: Memorial University in Newfoundland, Mount St. Vincent University in Nova Scotia, University of Northern British Columbia and the Government of Nunavut. The Centre is also involved with over 30 community, government and corporate partners across Canada.
How do we help?
We reach out to rural and northern Canada where opportunities may be limited or unavailable. We aim to make special needs programs and services more available, while respecting the richness of culture and language in these communities.
The Centre’s work is managed by six teams across Canada, and directed by Julia O’Sullivan Ph.D. and Mark L. Howe Ph.D., both of Lakehead University in Thunder Bay, Ontario.
What is the current focus of our work?
- Early Intervention
- Substance Abuse
- Learning and Communication
- Mental Health
- Policy Communities
- Emerging Technology
What are we doing to help?
- Work with families, communities and governments to develop the best programs for young people with special needs in rural and northern Canada.
- Connect parents, teachers and groups interested in special needs
- Provide easy ways to get helpful information
- Collect and review the latest information of special needs
- Report on best practices and best programs
- Find new technologies to improve services
Become part of the excellence…
Whether you are interested personally or professionally in becoming part of the excellence please contact us and get involved with the Centre of Excellence for Children & Adolescents with Special Needs.
The Centre of Excellence for Children &
Adolescents with Special Needs:
Call: (807) 343-8219 Fax: (807) 346-7991